Redmond Molloy on Toothbrushes, Floss and Mouthwashes
The Redmond Molloy Dublin Dental clinics deliver all general and cosmetic dental treatments under one roof. Our Hygienists treatments are becoming more and more popular as people want maintain their oral hygiene as the adage goes Prevention is better than cure, but in the present climate Prevention is also less expensive than cure.
Between your hygienists treatments and dental check-ups there are few key things you need to do on a daily basis to maintain your healthy smile. There can be mixed advice out there on what works and what doesn't, so our Redmond Molloy Hygienists and Dentists have some simple advice:
- Brush at least twice daily, in the morning and before bedtime
- Ideally, brush during the day after meals (why not keep a toothbrush in school / work?)
- Use a flouridated and anti-bacterial toothpaste
- Brush for at least 2 minutes
- Choose a toothbrush with a small head to clean inside small gaps
- Choose a softer bristle toothbrush to avoid damaging your gums toothbrush abrasion
- Floss at least once a day to remove the plaque and food debris between teeth that your toothbrush cannot get to
- Ask your hygienist or dentist for the flossing material that suits your teeth: Satin Tape Floss is the most commonly recognised but Superfloss, Flossettes, The Humming Bird, and TePe Interdental Brushes may better suit your teeth
3. Mouth Rinses / Mouthwash
- Mouthwashes are great for bad breath and chemically destroying bacteria in places where toothbrush and floss cannot get to
- KIN mouthwash is a good short term (2 week) rinse which chemically destroys the bacteria that cause gum disease
- Retardex is another brand which we recommend for longer term use. Its key ingredients destroy the toxins that cause bad breath.
- Sensodyne have a rinse for long-term use containing anti-bacterial ingredients and flouride to prevent tooth decay. Sensodyne mouthwashes also help with teeth sensitivity
- Oral B also offer a rinse for long term use which is alcohol free and can be used twice daily
- Fluoriguard is another flouride based mouth rinse designed to help prevent tooth decay. It is a good choice for orthodontic patients.
As with any dental products and dental hygiene treatments, everybody is different so for the best product and flossing, rinsing, and brushing regime for you...contact your Redmond Molloy dentist or hygienist on 1850 247 230 or simply click here to book an appointment.